Serving Ventura County

Home Page.
Attorney Profile.
Practice Areas.

Free Consultations

   Family Law Practice Areas




Site Map

Email to a Friend

Site Map


Print Page

Joan L. Collier practices law in Ventura County, CA at the Law Office of Joan L. Collier. Her practice helps people throughout the Ventura Beach Communities, the Conejo Valley, Heritage Valley, and Ojai Valley : including the cities of Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Ventura, Camarillo, Westlake Village, Agoura, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Newbury Park, Moorpark, Oak Park, Santa Paula, Fillmore, and Ojai.

Copyright 2010 by Joan L. Collier. All rights reserved.  Home   Overview  Attorney Profile   Disclaimer | Site Map

Office Location

  916 West Ventura Blvd
Suite 100
Camarillo, CA 93010

(805) 764-2380

E-Mail Me
Office Location

In California, the child custody laws cover parental relocation or move-away cases. Each and every case is unique; the courts take a variety of approaches to relocation. At the Law Office of Joan L. Collier, in Ventura, CA, I am experienced at working with clients to pursue their relocation goals, or fight to keep your child in your custody if the other parent is relocating. Contact me today to schedule a consultation.


Helping Custodial Parents Pursue Their Relocation Goals

California family courts cannot prevent a parent from moving. They can, however, prevent a child from moving when that child is covered by a parenting plan or other child custody order. If you have custody of a child under such an order and you are considering relocation, you should always consult an attorney about your options. If a custodial parent wants to move away whether within a county, out of a county or out of state - he or she may need to present evidence to a court that the move is in the best interests of the child.


In California you have a presumptive right to move with the child. However, that right can be overcome if the other parent objects and presents evidence that the move would harm the child's interests. In some cases, custody can be transferred from one parent to the other.

Protecting the Rights of Non-Custodial Parents In Southern California

Non-custodial parents do not need permission from the court to move. However, they may end up forfeiting their visitation rights, or a modification of the parenting plan may be needed to  accommodate the move. If you are a non-custodial parent considering relocation, I will help you establish the best strategies for continuing your relationship with your child.

Put Experience on Your Side

Contact my office to discuss any concerns you may have about the move away or parental relocation process. I can be your advocate even if you live out of state. I am available by phone at 805-764-2380  or email me at your convenience.

Relocation and Move Away

Addressing the Impact of Relocation on Children


At the Law Office of Joan L. Collier I know people move for many reasons, including new jobs, financial circumstances, and lifestyle changes. Anyone who has a child and is considering relocating will have to think about the impact of the move on the child. This is especially the case, from a legal point of view, when the child has another parent with custody or visitation rights.